Friday, November 21, 2014

Not SportCenter's Top 10

There are only 10 days left of my Student Teaching journey. Can you believe it?! I can’t! In honor of the final 10 days, I am going to do a countdown of the Top 10 Things I Have Enjoyed About Student Teaching in Uganda. There are DEFINITELY more than 10 things I have enjoyed, but I am going to try my best to narrow it down to 10.

10 – Ugandan Hospitality
Starting off our countdown is Ugandan Hospitality. From the day we arrived, anyone we have met or spoken to has been so incredibly welcoming. Each time we entered someone’s home or shop, we were always met with a “most welcome” from the host. Coming from a region of the United States that prides itself on its hospitality, receiving that same hospitality from the locals here in Uganda was so comforting.

9 – Craft Markets
I regularly hate shopping, but the craft markets here in Uganda were so cool! Each of the items were handmade by either the seller or someone he/she knows personally, so I loved hearing the stories of how things were made or just the stories of the people’s lives. I probably spent too much money at the markets, but I just want to be sure that friends and family back home know I was thinking of them while I was gone.

8 – Ugandan food
Rolexes will forever be one of my favorite foods. Incredibly cheap to buy, probably a little too greasy, and oh so filling, a rolex is a staple of every Ugandan’s diet, and Rolex Factories can be found on almost every street. We have been so fortunate to live RIGHT next to one! The man who works there is so nice to me (probably because he sees me ALL the time!), and I enjoy talking to him each time I go to by a rolex.

7 – Boda Bodas
I talked a bit about boda bodas in a previous blog post, but I did not convey my thankfulness for this method of transportation. I have saved so much time by riding boda bodas rather than walking, and I have met several really great drivers.

6 – Skype/FaceTime
Prior to this trip, I greatly underestimated the comfort and joy of seeing a loved one’s face and being able to talk to them. Something I took for granted before, I have been so incredibly blessed by the many people I have been able to see and talk to while abroad. From co-workers who persevered through an hour of an awful wifi connection to see and hear me, to my family, who took time out of their Sundays each week to catch me up on life, and all others in between, I have thoroughly enjoyed each moment and cannot wait to reunite with each of you.

5 – KISU Staff
The top 5 would not be complete without the people who have made this adjustment and experience so much better. From the security staff I see entering and exiting the school, to the teachers I spend much of my time with, each one has been so incredibly welcoming and understanding. Most of the teachers are from countries other than Uganda, so they understand what we went through when first arriving in the country. Also, they were Student Teachers once as well, so they were sympathetic towards our situation. From offering tips to counting down the days with us to graduation, they were such a valuable asset to this experience. To the local staff – the security and kitchen staff, although my time with them was not extensive, it was very nice. I was always met with a smile…it was also nice when the staff that served me lunch always gave me more food than others J

4 – Fellow Interns
The four people with whom I have lived this experience. First, my roommates – I do not know if it is possible to find three people who are more opposite than the 3 of us, but somehow, we have managed to live together for 3 months without killing each other. From spending hours watching American Horror Story, Modern Family, and Revenge, to stressing out over EdTPA and the other things we had to complete, I am thankful that I had those two to share this journey with. The two ISU girls – two people who have always been ready for adventure (and planned all of our excursions), there was never a dull moment when we were all together.

3 – Nature
Y’all, Uganda is BEAUTIFUL. If you do not believe me, just check out the pictures in my Facebook album or search #CAMpala2014 on Instagram. You will not be disappointed. Exploring the country, both in the city and out of it, I was never let down by the views. From the beauty of hiking around Fort Portal, to the sights of the city, one thing I will surely miss about Uganda is the sights it provides.

2 – My Mentor Teacher
I would not have survived this experience without the help of my mentor teacher. He has been teaching for several years, so he is super intelligent when it comes to both teaching methods and content. Constantly offering suggestions on how to better meet the needs of our students, I am so thankful for his guidance and direction, and I know I am a better teacher because of him.

1 – The Students
Such a teacher response, but the thing I have enjoyed most about this experience has been the students. Always full of life and energy, especially when I was not, the students always kept me on my toes. From the ones I saw only a few times to the ones I taught multiple times a week, I was always respected and obeyed, which is something I know I will not get in the States. The students at KISU are just really great students overall, and it has been such a joy getting to know and teach them. And although I was the teacher, I learned so much about myself and teaching from them (another “teacher line”).

From here, I would go into a list of the top 10 things I miss from back home, but after listing “family” and “friends,” the other 8 would be “Chick-Fil-A and Chipotle”.



Cam


Connect with me through Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram! Links provided!
- Facebook is more for general updates on how things are going (Cameron Yarbrough)
- Twitter is more thoughts about things I am experiencing (@TheGrandCameron)
- Instagram is for cool pictures and things! I am using the hashtag #CAMpala2014 on all of my pictures during this experience, so you can find my pictures that way as well! (@TheGrandCameron)

No comments:

Post a Comment