Wednesday, November 12, 2014

I Must Be Hilarious

You have heard of the saying “If you want to make God laugh, tell Him about your plans.” (If you haven't before now, you just did.) This quote is attributed to Woody Allen, but the idea of God disagreeing with our plans is not an original thought by Allen. Proverbs 16:9 says “A man’s heart plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps.” (NKJV)

Today, I attended a college fair as a chaperone. The Guidance Counselor thought it would be a good idea for us interns to chaperone since we are still in university (for one more month!) and could provide some insight to the students as they spoke to representatives from the various schools. I teach/observe one senior class, and there is one student in that class. Because there is only 1 student, I have been able to talk with and get to know him more than other students. This particular student was on the trip, so I mostly walked around with him and his girlfriend. Knowing what they both were interested in, I helped them find schools that offered their majors. My student has had his heart set on two schools for some time now, but neither of them was at the college fair, and he was unwilling to consider any of these new schools. I urged him to talk with representatives and get information about their schools because he needed to have options, just in case. Reluctantly, he agreed.

As I was talking to him, I was taken back to my senior year, when I told my guidance counselor that “I don’t need backups; I’m going to UGA.” As I have done so many times since starting at Kennesaw, I laughed at my ridiculousness, just the way my counselor did when I told her, and just how God did when I told Him. I believe, however, that I can only laugh at myself now because hindsight is 20/20. When you are 17 or 18 and getting ready to graduate and turn the page on the next chapter of your life, you want to have everything planned out, down to the last detail. My student does, and I definitely did. Deciding what college to attend and what to major in are important decisions, so it is too common for us to want to take matters into our own hands.

Jeremiah 29:11 is one of “those” versus: the ones everyone knows and the repetition of said verses can often cause us to overlook the importance of them. “For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord.” I could just stop right there. Our plans are KNOWN by the Lord. The Creator of the universe KNOWS the plans He has for you. Really grasping the weight of that sentence should overwhelm us with incredible peace about our futures. Also, the use of the word “declare” is something to note. While some translations use “said,” the word translates the same. From the Greek “nĕ'um,” the word means “utterance; declaration.” To me, those words are backed by confidence and strength. Not only does the Lord KNOW our plans, but He can confidently say that; there is not wavering back and forth on whether or not He knows them. The rest of the verse goes on to say just what kind of plans He has in store for us. “…thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.” (NKJV) This is further assurance that we are in good hands.

You would think that after seeing how God has worked in my life the past 4 years, proving time and time again that He knew best, that I would be able to say with confidence that my future is not something I want to plan on my own. Wrong. I had my own plans regarding how I was going to finish school, but God showed up BIG in the way that He directed my steps, and you can read about that here.

As my time in Uganda is coming to an end (19 more days!), I am coming up on another milestone: graduating college. Again, I am laughing at myself. Before I even boarded the plane in Atlanta, I had plans about what I was going to do when I got back. I was so planned out, in fact, that I was so close to passing up a great opportunity because it was not what I wanted for myself. However, I have wiped my drawing board clean and am giving God the pen, something He should have had the whole time.


I say all of this to say that, while I have no idea what the future holds, I know that since God planned it, just as He has planned out every other detail of my life, I will not be led in the wrong direction.

1 comment:

  1. Praise the Lord for your obedience! Glad to read this & I know He has great plans for you indeed!


    Also: I totally pictured Elle Woods when I read "I don't need backups. I'm going to UGA." I love that we both communicate in movie references!!

    ReplyDelete