Sunday, September 14, 2014

That's What I Love About Sundays

The Lord is alive and working in Kampala!

I visited a Ugandan church today here in Kampala. The Food Technology teacher at KISU attends Watoto Church in the heart of the city, and one day last week, he invited us to go with him. He said they have six (WHAT) services at their main campus, Central Campus, and he normally goes on Saturday nights. The three of us were busy for most of the day yesterday, so we were unable to go with him. However, he said he would go to the 3:00 service today if we were still interested in going.
This morning, the three of us were all awake by 9am. After breakfast and some school work, we took off for the mall so the girls could get some fresh bread from a café there...and so we could enjoy one of the few places in the city with free wifi.

Around 2:30, we get a call from Martin, the Food Tech teacher, saying he is on the way. After some miscommunication with directions, he picks us up about 3:00, and we head to Watoto. Coming in late, we had to sit in the balcony. When we walked in, it felt so much like being back at my home church, North Metro Church. The auditorium was so alive with people filled with the Spirit! The worship was very contemporary, and you could tell that the Lord was very present in the service. It reminded me so much of back home that I felt like part of the congregation at once.

Watoto was such a great reminder of why I am here in Uganda, and it felt very refreshing to worship with other believers. Having not been with my NMC family for almost two months, I was greatly missing Christian community. Whether it is with Martin or not, I think Watoto is definitely somewhere I will be visiting again.

We left the church around 5:00, and Martin asked if it was okay that we stopped by his mom and dad’s house for a bit. We did not have anything planned for the evening, so we did not mind. He said that he had dropped his 5-year old daughter there earlier that morning with the rest of his family, so he wanted to go by and pick her up. When we walked into the house, there were so many people. We met his mom, Rose, who was very nice to us and at once handed us cups and pointed us in the direction of the ice and juice [this was the first time I have had ice while in Uganda]. The juice was a homemade blend of several different fruits, and it was so delicious. A younger lady, one of Martin’s sisters, I believe, brought us plates and forks and asked if we had had lunch. All of the food they were putting away from lunch was immediately reheated and brought back out to us. We had meatballs, potatoes, chapatti (link), chicken, and pinto beans. It was all SO good, and there seemed to be an endless supply of food. While we were eating, kids of all ages kept running through the dining/living room, so we asked Rose who they all were. She said they were grandkids, and there were always a lot of people over on Sundays. Each person we met was so nice to us, and was interested in who we were and why we were in Uganda. While talking to one of the little girls, Sophie, Martin brought out pizza that he had just made from scratch. I felt so full from the other food, but I knew Martin was a good cook, so I just HAD to try some of the pizza. The pizza was covered with chicken, mushrooms, tomatoes, and cheese, and both slices I had were so good! I told Martin I would be coming by Food Tech a lot more often during my planning periods! We left Rose's house so full of food and feeling very good about how we spent our afternoon/evening!


Days full of Jesus, family, and food are what I miss so much from back home, so it was so nice of Martin to invite us not only to church, but also to his house. Rose and the family told us to come by whenever, that we were always welcome. I am sure this Sunday routine will be one we try our best to keep up!

Cameron

Did you go to church this morning? How was it? Let's chat in the comments!

Connect with me though Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram! Links provided!
- Facebook is more for general updates on how things are going (Cameron Yarbrough)
- Twitter is more thoughts about things I am experiencing (@TheGrandCameron)
- Instagram is for cool pictures and things! I am using the hashtag #CAMpala2014 on all of my pictures during this experience, so you can find my pictures that way as well! (@TheGrandCameron)
- Skype me! cameron_yarbrough

No comments:

Post a Comment