Saturday, September 20, 2014

43,829 Minutes

About 9 months ago, I sang “Spirit, lead me where my trust is without borders” at Echo in Kennesaw, Georgia. Many of you will recognize that line as one from the Hillsong song “Oceans.” (LINK to song). I should have known better than to ask such a grand request from The Lord, but I had no idea what He had in store for me. In case you are wondering, it was Uganda. But I must say that 1 month later, He did NOT disappoint…not that in my wildest dream did I ever think He would!

We have been here in Kampala for 1 month (to the day!), and what an adventure it has been! I had no idea that God would take me 8,000 miles away from my comfort zone to show me what truly relying on Him would look like, but He did! If there is one thing I have learned in the past month, it is that true reliance on God is humanly terrifying, because it means completely letting go of everything, and trusting Him with it all. However, as humanly terrifying as it may be, nothing is more rewarding. Allowing God to work in and through you is one of the most satisfying things we can experience as humans, because we are fulfilling God’s purpose for our lives. We still have 2 and a half more months here in Kampala, and I cannot wait for what God has in store!

I say that we have experienced “a lot” while here, and I mean that! I have tried my best to keep you all updated on what is going on, but it is difficult to share everything with you all. One of the most exciting things (for me, anyway) is that I have started teaching! For the first three and a half weeks at KISU, my colleagues and I were simply observing different teachers throughout the school and helping out where we could/were asked to. However, I took over two classes this week, and will be teaching those for the next 8 weeks! One class is a Year 9 (equivalent to 8th grade) History class. There are 10 students, 3 of those being English as an Additional Language students (EAL). To put it simply, English is not their first language, but I also work in their Language Support class twice a week, so more on them later! The Year 9 curriculum works through various themes in history. The unit that I just started is “Conflict,” and we will be looking at conflict from Great Britain’s perspective – specifically World Wars I and II. The next unit is “Power,” and we will be doing case studies on Adolph Hitler and Joseph Stalin. My other class, Diploma Program 1 (11th grade), is going through a book titled Russian Communism Under Lenin and Stalin. My first thought when my Mentor Teacher told me was “WHAT.” I had NO prior knowledge of Russian History, and suddenly I was going to TEACH it? Let me just say that Friday’s lesson was…interesting. I taught on the Russian Civil War (1918-1920), and I was not as prepared as I thought! My 2 (yes, I only have 2 students in that class) students told me it went well, though, so I will take their word for it! I will be sure to keep you updated as the term progresses.

Some of my favorite lessons each week are with my Learning Support students. I work with 3 Year 9 boys, 2 Chinese and 1 Angolan who speaks Portuguese. They are learning English well, they just all learn at different paces. I have worked with them since Day 1, so I have gotten to know them very well. They have been so quick to speak to me (the best they can) in the halls and at lunch, even when the other students still had no idea who my colleagues or I were. The 3 boys are so funny and nice, and working with them is such a day-brightener. Even when I am getting on to them for not working as hard as the teacher and I know they can, they still smile! I am so excited to see how far these boys have progressed when December comes!
It has taken a month, but I have reached the point of adjustment where I am comfortable. Walking everywhere is normal to me, and riding in a car seems strange. I have learned to live with schillings, and seldom do I now ask myself, “How much is that in dollars?” I am used to having to either fill up my water bottles everywhere or buying water (yes, paying for water) anywhere we go out. I have even gotten used to being at least warm at all times. [In the entire month we have been here, not once have I felt cold, and we are nearing the end of the cold months. I would hate to experience the hot months!]

As I close out this post, I will leave you with some moments.

Funny Moment: This week, I was working with a Year 11 (10th grade) girl from South Africa. We were talking about universities in the States, and I asked her if she was considering going to one. Her response made me laugh: she said “no” because she was scared of America based on what she saw on TV. I asked her what she had seen, and she said Kim Kardashian and some show about teenagers in Beverly Hills. I had to quickly explain that most people in the States cannot stand the Kardashians (although people just love keeping up with them!), and that university was nothing like the shows and movies! I then explained misconceptions that people have about Africa, and when we talked through those, she was laughing because she knew they were not true, just as I knew her misconceptions were not true. [Side note: the majority of ideas Americans have about Africa are probably false.]

Scary moment: I GOT HIT BY A CAR WHILE WALKING TO SCHOOL. Yes, you read that right! Saba and I were walking on the side of the road, with me closer to traffic. We were on a hilly side road that is usually heavily trafficked with walkers, so cars will normally drive slowly. NOT THIS CAR. We were walking like any other day, and out of nowhere, I feel something hit the back of my elbow very hard, and saw a blue van drive by. Saba thought my arm was going to be dislocated, but I was fine except for some swelling. The van, however, now has a dented side mirror with the mirror part cracked in several places. The van did not stop, so I have no idea who was driving, or how angry they were. [Many of you might be asking “why were you walking with traffic as opposed to against it?” Our school is on that side, and crossing the road can be tricky, so we try to cut the tricks wherever we can. It had not been a problem any of the previous days!] This happened yesterday morning, and I am more than OK now. No permanent (or temporary) damage! Still scary, though! However, I do tend to pull my arm in closer to my side when I hear a car coming by while I am walking with traffic on the side of the road.

As always, I want to connect with my readers. How has your month been? What are some conceptions you have about Africa? Let’s chat!

Cam


Connect with me through Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Skype! Links provided!
- Facebook is more for general updates on how things are going (Cameron Yarbrough)
- Twitter is more thoughts about things I am experiencing (@TheGrandCameron)
- Instagram is for cool pictures and things! I am using the hashtag #CAMpala2014 on all of my pictures during this experience, so you can find my pictures that way as well! (@TheGrandCameron)
- Skype me! cameron_yarbrough

No comments:

Post a Comment